Tuesday 13 January 2015

0 Comments "A Time to Reap" Mitts

As promised some time ago, I'm sharing the result of knitting some fingerless mitts from Rowan Fine Art yarn I had left from the making of Onerva shawl. I found this lovely pattern from Ravelry on Pinterest (as I would), and I instantly knew what I will be using the leftover yarn on. I followed the pattern in every step, although I did use slightly bigger needles to get the required gauge.

Knitting this model was relatively hassle-free, if you leave out the fact that it took me almost one hour and two failed attempts of knitting the first inch of it to tame the set of double-pointed needles that kept falling out and retreating under a sofa. Although it got easier after some time, I have to admit, I did not master knitting with those, as you can clearly see the ladders on all four sides of each mitt. Quite annoying. But a good thing they're symmetrical.

The pattern is probably the easiest I could pick (although quite tedious since I hate knitting large portions in stockinette stitch), but this simplicity is what attracted me to the pattern in the first place, so no complaining here. Unfortunately the miniature lace insert at the top and bottom got kind of lost in all the colours, but the mitts still ended up looking nice.

Now to the part I kind of dreaded – the thumb gusset. I agree, dreading it would be a big word to use, but since I've never faced such a task before, it felt like a big step for me. In reality it was one of the easiest things, although it did add some volume to the stockinette part. The funniest part was knitting the tiny thumb with only 6-7 stitches on each of the three remaining needles – it turned out looking like a tiny mushroom!

Thumb gusset
Again, since it was my first ever attempt, there can be seen some ladders around the gusset. Well, I'm sure that with these things practice makes perfect, and that in time I will master the art of knitting with perfect tension throughout!

Just like in the original pattern, they come quite high up the arm and are slightly slouchy in the wrist, which creates that effortless comfort look. They work (and look) perfect with 3/4 or half-sleeve tops, keeping the arms fully covered in those colder days and giving them an extra layer under the coat. The fitting is also rather elegant to be able to leave them on indoors where there is no requirement to appear formal. 

Here, I hope you liked them! Take care for now.

E.V.

No comments:

Post a Comment