Wednesday 6 May 2015

0 Comments Relieving my Artistic Urges | Introducing New Section

About a week ago I decided to revive my artistic skills – geared up with some pencils, brushes and paper, found a nice photograph of peony flowers to use as a 'model', and immediately began sketching completely losing track of time. 

Naturally, starting from a relaxed sketch

What I find quite annoying with my personal pre-watercolour sketching style is that I tend to 'overdo' it, especially with shading. Generally drawing is my favourite, and I just can't avoid shading as I go (you can see it in the picture above) instead of simply contouring the image. 

Now that I think of it, I might just suck at contouring... But hey, as long as it gives result, am I right? :D Anyway, all I had to do was to clean it up a bit with eraser to make the lines finer and shading less visible. 

Recovered my watercolour set from when I studied in art school, almost 10 years back!


Funnily enough, what I find is that I only achieve better results, drawing or painting, each time I do it, even after very long periods of time. Like, literally, the last time I painted in watercolour was what, four years ago? Much better now, and with zero practice. I definitely have to test this superpower of mine on soft pastels, my used-to-be favourite.

My watercolour technique is... hmm... quite random if I am perfectly honest. Meaning I rarely actually know what I am doing at each given moment (how I suppose a proper artist would), but rather arbitrarily pick colours and make brush strokes acting on intuition. I find it more relaxing that way, like letting your mind do things without commanding it directly. Well, that's just in case you're interested :)

Did a few minor touches with coloured pencils to add volume to the colour



I hope you guys like the result! You might have seen the finished drawing in my Instagram feed already, but I figured it deserved a bit of context. I personally think it turned out quite pretty in the end, despite minor imperfections of which only I will ever know ^_^

I don't draw or paint too often nowadays, but once I get one of those 'inspirations' I tend to create pretty decent things. Let me know if you want to see more of my art, and I will make sure to post my older pieces here, as well as [hopefully] get motivated to make it a more or less regular thing ;)

E.V.

P.S.  I kind of feel like it calls for some romantic verse about petals and light and what-not to go with this painting... Unfortunately, I abandoned poetry quite a while ago, so if any of you can offer some nice verses you like, I encourage you to leave them in the comment section ;) <3

No comments:

Post a Comment