Tuesday 5 May 2015

0 Comments The Pink One | Spring Dress

Heyyy... So... I finally got some time to take pictures of the piece I made from that candy pink viscose mix I showed you here some time back. I don't think anyone has guessed what it was from the first try, although few of you came pretty close. I decided the colour and texture would make just a perfect dress for spring, which is exactly what I made of it in the end.

Once again, the pattern came from one of this year's Burda magazines, and I fell in love with it right there and then when I saw the preview:

Ah, so tender! Wish my hair was this long... *dreamy face*
I bought the fabric (quite spontaneously) before I got my hands on the copy, and lived the following week or so in sweet anticipation. I especially liked the simple and modest silhouette with dropped waistline, the length of the skirt (which differs from my favourite midi/below the knee) and the fact that this model has full length sleeves, which is something I haven't seen on a dress in a while.

I think I cut into the fabric the very same day I got the magazine – so anxious I was to finally make it!

My enthusiasm got turned down a notch when I realised the material I had just wouldn't flow and look as lightweight as it does on the picture. The reason – magazine model is made of silk, and my viscose crepe turned out to have stretchy fibres and due to added polyester it was heavier and thicker than needed.

Apologies for the dress being all creased, I took pictures only after I wore it once ^_^
Anyways, no turning back after you cut it, eh? In every other aspect the fabric was a treat to work with, and I didn't have any problems whatsoever when it came down to sewing. Psssst, overlock is such a life-saver!

Sewing wise this model had a couple of challenging operations I have never done before – cuffs and a concealed button panel – which, although required some extra time, were not as challenging as I originally expected. Altogether it took approximately three evenings to make, and then another couple of days for me to stop being lazy and hem it by hand :D



I quite enjoyed making this dress and I am pretty happy with how it looks on me. The only thing which I find slightly weird is the fact that it has full sleeves (which came out a bit longer on me than they are on the model) – not something I dislike, but I'd have to play around with shoes and accessories a bit to be confident enough to just grab it from the wardrobe and go.

From what I can say now, it will look amazing with simple nude pumps and a classic mac for a casual day out or an office look, whereas matching hairpiece, bold lip colour and high heels will give it a more sophisticated evening touch. So, potentially versatile, but will have to experiment :)  

Bonus: a full look featuring the new dress :)
I really hope you like how it turned out! I know I've been keeping you waiting with it, so thank you so much for staying with me! As usual, the comment section is open for your lovely opinions and suggestions. 

Lots of love <3 

E.V.

No comments:

Post a Comment