Friday 5 December 2014

0 Comments Birthday Dress


At Kremlin State Concert Hall
It became a more or less consistent tradition for me in the recent years to wear a new dress on my birthday. I suspect a lot of us try to wear something new and exciting on such a day. It kind of adds to the overall excitement of the moment when you get to shop for a new outfit, or order it Online and wait in sweet anticipation until it arrives to your doorstep, or even get one made just for you.

When I was a child my mother would sometimes make me new pretty dresses for my birthdays. That wasn't the case every single year, naturally, but I still remember those times when the dress would be hanging in the hall already finished and when I simply couldn't wait to put it on. Such excitement!

This year I decided to make one myself, and let me tell you, it is NOT as exciting when you are the one making it! Things tend to go wrong making you lose motivation and at times even hate the idea altogether. 

It was all going great and smooth until it turned out that the pattern I was using had faulty fitting and the top part just wouldn't fit me properly. It was too tight on the bust, too loose on the waist and overall looked pretty terrible. Terrible to the extent of me deciding to rip it and make a different bodice altogether from the remaining fabrics. Here you have a few snaps of the final version:

Princess-cut bodice 
Semi-circle ruffle skirt


Narrow hemming
Blind zipper - both inside and out
Silk lining (black)




Personally, I am quite happy with the result. The dress turned out to be very elegant and flowing, with a slight 50-s touch just as intended (although I'm contemplating to make a net tutu to be worn underneath for a more authentic 50-s silhouette). 

You can't see it from the pictures, but it has thin spaghetti straps and a fairly low back, so it does require some matching layering to cover the shoulders. What you also cannot see here is the length, which comes about two thirds down the calf, making it a long-ish midi. 


But my favourite part is the fabrics itself. Abstract peacock feather print on a deep navy background, subtle silky sheen and rustling texture. Can be accessorised to be both formal and smart casual, which is probably my favourite quality of silk garments. All in all, makes a perfect dress to wear to a ballet performance :)



E.V. 

No comments:

Post a Comment