Thursday 4 December 2014

0 Comments The Horrors of My Writing Experience | Imported Post

The second and last imported post from Medium is here (I told you I didn't write much while I was there). This one is more of an introductory post for the blog rather than a regular stand-alone post, but it does express some ideas as to why I generally struggle to write. Again, sorry for the formatting, I swear it's not me!

"I was never particularly good at expressing my thoughts. And I think a lot on a daily basis, as many of us do, with a general tendency to overthink things. Sometimes I figure that maybe (just maybe) the whole magnitude of thought building up in my head over time is the problem, that I simply cannot cope and condense it to clever and elegant little thoughts to share. And this reveals the second problem, which is specific to my writing - even if I were to write something, would others find it enjoyable and clever to read?
See, I am an extremely fussy reader myself, and I get put off by great many things which others would probably find quite insignificant. Like grammatical errors. Or poor formatting (I am only not using Justified text formatting now since Medium only allows Left or Centre, and my ‘OCD Sense’ is tingling). I also tend to get bored of bad or plain writing pretty quickly and without guilt. And, since I am my best critic, whatever I think about writing (and sometimes I find my thoughts rather interesting) undergoes strict censorship inside my head by great many parameters, usually to the extent of leaving me with zero enthusiasm. Oh, and did I tell you English was not my first language?
The other big thing for me is engaging with the reader. You see, even though I am a massive procrastinator and regularly engage myself with admittedly pointless activities, I feel that writing something without expecting it to be read by at least someone, is a worthless waste of time and energy. And I’m not one of those free spirits who finds peace in simply letting it out. I find great satisfaction in knowing that people find something of interest in what I have to say, and maybe even more so when I see them interested enough to say something in return.
Finally, my circles… Oh, the horror of letting it slip to someone that I have started a blog!.. I am exaggerating, of course, but I do find my relative anonymity to the Internet community somewhat soothing, at least in the beginning. This blog is a brave new step for me, there is a lot of discovering to do along the way, and I hope my stories and thoughts will be worth your while."
E.V.

No comments:

Post a Comment