Tuesday 16 December 2014

0 Comments Onerva | My First Shawl Project

As I have probably mentioned somewhere before (or maybe it was in my old blog which ceased to exist by now...), I had spent the last six years living happily in the UK, and it just so happened that I had to return to Russia just before the Summer start this year. 

During the period from August to mid-November the longest I have stayed in one place was literally 10 days. These few months were busy and, frankly, quite exhausting, both physically and mentally. Since then I've been staying put here in Moscow, and although I did manage to catch quite a few pleasant autumn days, soon enough the harsh reality that was waiting just around the corner became apparent: the Russian Winter is coming... (GoT pun intended)

I faced one major problem with the first negative temperatures outside - I have no winter warmers appropriate for Russian weather! When I say appropriate I mean warm and manageable. Especially since you have to keep taking it off and putting it back on again when you go in and out of premises/transport. And, preferably something that wouldn't completely ruin my hair, and here is where the shawl part comes in.

The idea of knitting a triangular shawl has haunted me for some time now, and I finally got a solid excuse to do it! In this particular case I was finding a pattern specifically for the yarn I already had in abundance, the lovely Rowan Fine Art in colour Raven (just over one full skein). After a brief search on Pinterest I found the beautiful yet simple Onerva shawl which had both the desired gauge and just the right amount of lacy-ness

The shawl was completed in about a week, which is not at all long for such a project. The knitting went quite smoothly with only a couple of spots I had to rectify (mostly resulting from my own negligence), and the pattern was rather intuitive too, which meant little concentration on counting stitches. And, after casting off and blocking this lovely lace - here it is! 





Love how you can see the colour transition through the pattern!

The only problem with it is that I expected to use up most of the yarn by the end of this project since I kind of wanted to get rid of it. In fact I only used a half of what I had! Well, some of the 'leftovers' went towards a lovely Christmas gift for one of my friends (not going to reveal what it is just yet :p ), and whatever is left looks to be just enough for these lovely fingerless mitts with a very poetic pattern name "A Time to Reap", which I will show you as soon as they are finished and I manage to take a few nice shots of them ;)


E.V.

No comments:

Post a Comment