Thursday 18 December 2014

0 Comments The Wedding Gift | Imported Post

I resurrected my deleted blog for the sole purpose of exporting this post about a crochet throw I made as a wedding gift for my friend this summer. Luckily, it hasn't been 90 days since I deleted it, so all the lovely pictures of the throw from various angles are safe and sound. Plus, it did save me some time on re-writing the entire post. Although I did some minor editing to the original text, like cutting the now out-of-context intro and tweaking some sentences to sound better:

"Here's to the oh-so-expected celebration of my classmate's wedding which I attended back in August and the gift I brought.

Considering that this was the first wedding I ever attended, the decision of what to give as a gift was not an easy one for me. Starting from the beginning I didn't want to give money (although it is a fairly common option) as I thought I could come up with something a little more personal. Traditionally (I suppose not only in Russia), the wedding gift should be something to better the just established household of the newlyweds. For instance, in Soviet times a set of good quality bed linens would be a great option. Now that things like that are not as hard to come by, one needs to be a bit more creative.

One of the older Burda Style magazines had a nice crocheted throw in it, and I thought to myself "how hard can it be?" Crocheting should take less time than knitting something this size, and I'm a fast knitter anyway... Well, long story short, "to add a little creativity into the gift" turned out to be "spending a month making it every single day with no exception". 




The throw is a mosaic made out of 8x6 square motifs sewn together, and finished off with a crocheted frill all around as below. Less than halfway through, I decided to 'cheat' a little by reducing the number of squares and making the throw 7x5 squares instead. Good thing that due to the thicker yarn each motif was already slightly bigger, so the end result turned out to be of roughly the same measurements as initially planned. 



Good thing I cheated, because I was literally finishing, blocking and wrapping it only few hours before I had to catch my train to Riga. 

The finished throw turned out quite large and cozy, and frankly, I would make one of my own if I wasn't so sick of it towards the end. The colour, I felt, was ideal for this piece, and thus it was well worth waiting for a week for just enough yarn in this colour to be delivered to the store. 


It was very good to know that my friend was actually looking for something of the kind for their new place, so the gift definitely served its purpose very well."

I do hope you like it! Making it had its ups and downs, but overall I'd say I enjoyed the process. What I enjoyed even more though, is the fact that the friend who got it still to this time drops an occasional compliment saying how she likes it and how well it fits their place. Conclusion - the goal of giving something memorable was achieved!



E.V.

No comments:

Post a Comment